Amenities & Services
This beautiful property is what most people would consider THE TUSCAN DREAM COME TRUE!
It has all the necessary requisites:
Situated on a hillside with stunning panoramic views, it is a charming property with noble origins. It is located within walking distance of the small, but busy village of Pergo and a further five minutes from the hilltop town of Cortona where one can enjoy fine wines in the open air piazzas, excellent restaurants and an eclectic mix of both foreigners and Italians.
Once part of the extensive estate belonging to Cardinal Passerini; lands bestowed on him by the Medici family in the 1500's, the estate stands in private grounds of one and one half acres (4,300 sqmts) entered via an electronic gate offering added security.
Originally built in the 1800's, the two buildings which comprise the property were converted in the 1980's by the property's previous owner, a well known Italian actor and theatre director.
In fact, its conversion combines both the artistic with the classical, creating an immediately welcoming and comfortable environment. The two buildings - originally a tobacco drying tower and stables - are conjoined by a short glass passageway, allowing for large house parties and a modicum of privacy for the owners.
The ex-stables consist of two double bedrooms and large bathroom on the ground floor with a third bedroom and shower room in the eaves. There is also a large open plan sitting room (with magnificent stone fireplace) and dining area from which all doors lead out into the garden.
The ex-tobacco tower - which can be heated separately during the winter months - houses a large kitchen with working fireplace and wc/boiler room on the ground floor, a sitting room with a beautiful study/library space in wood on the first floor and a large master bedroom and en-suite bathroom on the top floor. This cosy bedroom also enjoys air conditioning installed in more recent years. Each of these rooms enjoys wonderful far reaching views of the Italian countryside.
Outside there is a covered eating area which looks out over the beautifully maintained lawns and garden all of which have been loved and nurtured for the last 35 years. There is a small annex currently used as a laundry/storage room and on a lower terrace a large swimming pool overlooking the valley. Dotted around the grounds are a number of vibrantly beautiful oleander bushes and many olive trees, some immensely old, which provide sufficient olive oil for the year.
Whether a holiday home or permanent home, a caretaker would be at hand to maintain the grounds, swimming pool, prune the olive trees and pick the olives and air and/or clean the house when required. Cooking services are also available. This is an added bonus especially if one wishes to continue the property's successful rental business.
The village of Pergo (3 minutes by car, 15 minutes walking) is well serviced with a lively bar which enjoys a mix of foreigners and Italians (also international newspapers), a pizzeria (also take-away), a very well stocked supermarket/delicatessen, a hardware store and a Relais restaurant and spa hotel (La Corte dei Papi). Cortona is 5 minutes by car and there are two national mainline train stations (Rome-Florence-Milan) within a 15 minute drive.
Ideally situated, it is a beautiful estate located in an area of Cortona which is greatly sought after.
To buy a home in this prestigious area would be considered a sound investment.
About Cortona International
Cortona International looks forward to introducing you to the area: to the town of Cortona itself, but also its surrounding countryside which ranges from rural and peaceful mountainside, to classic hillside and to cultivated farmland areas, all of which abounds with olive groves, vineyards and spellbinding views. By specialising in this small niche of Tuscany, not only does Cortona International ensure a trouble-free purchase, but we are also able to offer a host of post purchase services which allow us to take care of your interests from the day you buy until the day you may choose to sell.
In a unique collaboration, Cortona International offers its clients a team of English speaking professionals whose individual strengths provide specialist knowledge in all aspects of buying or selling a property. We also offer a post-purchase property and rental management service for international buyers who may be absent for part of the year.
- We do our UTMOST to do pre-marketing checks on our properties in order to ascertain their compliance status.
- This does not necessarily mean they are compliant (many owners are resistant to regularising their properties until they have a firm offer), but it does mean we have a complete picture for you, know what the owner must do in order to obtain compliance and the timelines in which this can be done.
- A survey of your own should confirm our findings.
- We work together with the registered Italian notary regarding the preparation and drawing up of all and any contracts.
- English translations and/or an interpreter are provided.
- All money deposits are held in escrow by the notary until completion.
- We collaborate with international and local agencies in the area and can organise and accompany you on viewings of properties also listed by them. This is done on a split commission basis and at no extra cost to you.
- We will supply you with all paperwork pertaining to a property when you view it.
- We will also calculate all costs relative to the purchase (notary fees, purchase taxes etc…), future council taxes and overheads and, in advance of any commitment to a purchase, complete estimates for any works you might wish to do.
- We offer, together with our partners, a full range of post-acquisition services: General caretaking & maintenance; organisation of projects & permissions, renovations & small building works and a rental management service for people wishing to rent out their properties.
The agency is registered at the Chamber of Commerce in Arezzo and has been a member of FIAIP (Federation of Professional Italian Estate Agents) since 1997.