Old Mill on the Stream, Pergo, Italy
Pergo, Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy
Property ID: 27736133
|Bedrooms||6 - Bed|
|Bathrooms||5 - Bath|
In a pretty valley setting with a stream running along the edge of the garden, two separate buildings restored with great care.
The older of the two properties (105 sqmts) dates back to the 1600's and was originally a mill. The beautiful stone flagstones, as well as other features, have been preserved as a testament to this period.
The house consists of two bedrooms and two bathrooms, a study (or further bedroom), a kitchen and a sitting room with antique fireplace. The materials used are either hand made to a high standard or recuperated from the original building.
The second building (95 sqmts) has been restored more recently and consists of two bedrooms and three bathrooms, a study (or third bedroom), a kitchen and a sitting room with fireplace.
The property is in excellent condition and has air conditioning throughout.
It stands in approx. 8000 sqmts of land (2 acres) with fruit trees, olive trees and a well laid out garden with a swimming pool.
Local shops, in the lively village of Pergo, are just 5 minutes away including two exceptional restaurants Il Relais La Corte dei Papi and La Locanda del Molino owned and run by the family who also own the famous Il Falconiere restaurant/hotel.
The hilltop town of Cortona with its innumerous fine restaurants and fine wines is approx. 8 kms away. Main line rail stations - Camucia and Terontola - are within a 10 minute drive. Nearest airports are Perugia 45 mins, Florence 1hr 15 mins, Rome 2 hrs.
THE UNIQUENESS OF CORTONA
Each year, visitors arrive in Cortona and are enchanted by its beauty, its vibrancy and its eclectic mix of both Italian and international residents. It sits on a hillside dominating the vast expanse of the Valdichiana and enjoys spectacular views over the plains towards Montepulciano and Lake Trasimeno. It has an excellent infrastructure with two main line rail stations (Rome-Florence-Milan) and access to all major motorways. Perugia airport is 40 minutes away, Florence 1hr 30 minutes, Pisa, Bologna and Rome approx. 2 hrs. Cortona has a very high percentage of return visitors, many of whom have bought property and all of whom cite the same mantra – ‘Cortona has something special’. Maybe this is because of its rich cultural season of theatre, literary recitals, art shows, photographic exhibitions and music festivals, with many events based on the culture of ‘slow food’ gastronomy combined with fine wines. Or maybe its because of its vicinity to Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, Val d’Orcia, Florence, Gubbio, Perugia, Assisi, etc, all within a radius of 90 minutes or less. The Maremma and its beautiful coastal towns are less than a two hour drive. More probably it is because Cortona has intelligently embraced the challenge of modern times. Unlike so many ancient Italian towns destroyed by mass tourism and/or unchecked building regulations, Cortona has not compromised its authenticity, even in the aftermath of Under the Tuscan Sun, the famous book made into a film by the writer Frances Mayes. As any visitor will attest, it has a vitality and sense of purpose that sweeps you off your feet. Cortona International looks forward to introducing you to the area: to the town itself, but also its surrounding countryside which ranges from rural and peaceful mountainside, to classic hillside and to cultivated farmland areas, all of which abounds with olive groves, vineyards and spellbinding views. By specialising in this small niche of Tuscany, not only does Cortona International ensure a trouble-free purchase, but we are also able to offer a host of post purchase services which allow us to take care of your interests from the day you buy until the day you may choose to sell.
About Cortona International
In a unique collaboration, Cortona International offers its clients a team of English speaking professionals whose individual strengths provide specialist knowledge in all aspects of buying or selling a property. We also offer a post-purchase property and rental management service for international buyers who may be absent for part of the year.
- We do our UTMOST to do pre-marketing checks on our properties in order to ascertain their compliance status.
- This does not necessarily mean they are compliant (many owners are resistant to regularising their properties until they have a firm offer), but it does mean we have a complete picture for you, know what the owner must do in order to obtain compliance and the timelines in which this can be done.
- A survey of your own should confirm our findings.
- We work together with the registered Italian notary regarding the preparation and drawing up of all and any contracts.
- English translations and/or an interpreter are provided.
- All money deposits are held in escrow by the notary until completion.
- We collaborate with international and local agencies in the area and can organise and accompany you on viewings of properties also listed by them. This is done on a split commission basis and at no extra cost to you.
- We will supply you with all paperwork pertaining to a property when you view it.
- We will also calculate all costs relative to the purchase (notary fees, purchase taxes etc…), future council taxes and overheads and, in advance of any commitment to a purchase, complete estimates for any works you might wish to do.
- We offer, together with our partners, a full range of post-acquisition services: General caretaking & maintenance; organisation of projects & permissions, renovations & small building works and a rental management service for people wishing to rent out their properties.
The agency is registered at the Chamber of Commerce in Arezzo and has been a member of FIAIP (Federation of Professional Italian Estate Agents) since 1997.
In the Area
- Equestrian & Riding
- Historic Sites
- Mountain Biking
- Rural Retreat
- Wine Region
On Site AMENITIES
- Swimming Pool